Effective as of April 1, 2022.
Our commitment to privacy
Throughout this policy, we use the term “personal information” to describe information that can be associated with a specific person and can be used to identify that person. We do not consider personal information to include information that has been aggregated and/or anonymized so that it does not identify a specific user.
Information we collect
When you visit the website or use one of our mobile applications or other Services, we collect your IP address, and standard web log information, such as your browser type and the pages you accessed on our website. We also may collect Geolocation Information (defined below). If you do not agree to our collection of this information, you may not be able to use our Service.
If you open a Vank account, we collect the following information from you:
- Account Information – text-enabled cellular/wireless telephone number, machine or mobile device ID, and other similar information.
- Identification Information – your name, street address, email address, date of birth, and SSN (or other governmental issued verification numbers).
- Device Information – information about you: (a) from your mobile device or computer such as your device type, machine or mobile device identification number, Geolocation Information, time zone, language setting, browser type, and IP address, and (b) from third parties for purposes of transaction processing, identity verification, fraud detection or prevention and other similar purposes. For fraud prevention purposes, we also may link your machine ID with the machines of others who use your same payment cards.
- Geolocation Information – information that identifies with reasonable specificity your location by using, for instance, longitude and latitude coordinates obtained through GPS, Wi-Fi, or cell site triangulation. We will collect this data for fraud and risk purposes. In addition, some of our Services may ask you for permission to share your current location within your device settings to enhance our Services. If you do not agree to our collection of Geolocation Information, our Services may not function properly when you try to use them. For information about your ability to restrict the collection and use of Geolocation Information to enhance our Services, please refer to the settings available on your device.
- Financial Information – bank account online login information, bank account and routing numbers, and credit cards linked to your Vank account.
We are committed to providing a safe, secure, and all-around great service. Therefore, before permitting you to use the Services, we may require additional information from you we can use to verify your identity, address, or other information or to manage risk and compliance throughout our relationship. We may also obtain information about you from third parties such as identity verification, fraud prevention, and similar services.
When you are using the Services, we collect information about your account transactions, and we may collect Geolocation Information and/or information about your computer or another access device for fraud prevention and other similar purposes.
Finally, we may collect additional information from or about you in other ways not specifically described here. For example, we may collect information related to your contact with our customer support team or store results when you respond to a survey.
Information from children
The Services are not directed to children under the age of 13. If we obtain actual knowledge that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13, we will promptly delete it, unless we are legally obligated to retain such data. Contact us if you believe that we have mistakenly or unintentionally collected information from a child under the age of 13.
Do Not Track: Do Not Track (“DNT”) is an optional browser setting that allows you to express your preferences regarding tracking by advertisers and other third-parties. We do not respond to DNT signals.
How we protect and store personal information
We store and process your personal information using third party servers located in data centers in the United States. This information is protected by physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in compliance with applicable US federal and state regulations. We also use computer safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption, we enforce physical access controls to our office and files, and we authorize access to personal information only for those employees who require it to fulfill their job responsibilities.
We strive to ensure the security on our systems. Despite our efforts, we cannot guarantee that personal information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of our administrative, managerial, and technical safeguards. Therefore, we urge you to take adequate precautions to protect your personal data as well, including never sharing your Vank password with anyone.
If Vank learns of a systems security breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. By using the Services, you agree that Vank may communicate with you electronically. Vank may post a notice on the website or mobile application if a security breach occurs. We may also send an email to you at the email address you have provided to us. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. To receive free written notice of a security breach (or to withdraw your consent from receiving electronic notice of a security breach), please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How we use the personal information we collect
We may use your personal information to:
- provide the services and customer support you request;
- process transactions and send notices about your transactions or your network activity;
- resolve disputes, collect fees, and troubleshoot problems;
- prevent potentially fraudulent, prohibited, or illegal activities, and enforce our User Agreement through the use of our risk and fraud tools which may include use of Account Information, Identification Information, Financial Information, Device Information, Social Web Information, and Geolocation Information;
- create an account connection between your Vank account and a third-party account or platform;
- customize, personalize, measure, and improve our services and the content and layout of our website;
- send you updates about new products and services that we are offering to customers;
- compare information for accuracy and verify it with third parties;
- perform other duties as required by law; and
- if you elect to share your Geolocation Information, we will use this information to enhance the security of the Services and we may use this information to provide you with location-specific options, functionality, offers, advertising, search results, or other location-specific content.
How we share your personal information
To process payments on Vank, we need to share some of your personal information with the person or company that you are paying or is paying you. Your contact information, date of sign-up, the number of payments you have received, and other verification metrics may be provided to users or companies when you transact with, on, or through Vank.
We work with vendors to enable them to accept payments from you using Vank. In doing so, a vendor may share information about you with us, such as your mobile phone number or Vank username, when you attempt to pay that vendor. We use this information to confirm to that vendor that you are a Vank customer and that the vendor should enable Vank as a form of payment for your purchase.
Regardless, we will not disclose your credit card number or bank account number to anyone you have paid or who has paid you through Vank, except with your express permission or if we are required to do so to comply with a subpoena or other legal process.
How we share your personal information with other parties
Vank does not share your personal information with third parties for their promotional or marketing purposes.
Some personal information is public information and may be seen by anyone on the internet, whether or not they have a Vank account. Public information may also be seen, accessed, reshared or downloaded through Vank’s APIs or third-party services that integrate with our products.
- Public information for personal profiles includes your Vank username, profile photo, first and last name, month, and year of Vank account creation, and public transactions in which you’ve been involved.
- Public information for business profiles includes Vank username, profile and background photos, business name, business description, and QR code. Public information for business profiles may be indexed by and searchable on search engines.
In addition to any public information, your Vank friends list may be seen by any logged-in Vank user; you may adjust or turn off this setting in the privacy section in your account settings.
We may share your personal information with:
- Law enforcement, government officials, or other third parties if Vank is compelled to do so by a subpoena, court order or similar legal procedure, when it is necessary to do so to comply with law, or where the disclosure of personal information is reasonably necessary to prevent physical harm or financial loss, to report suspected illegal activity, or to investigate violations of the Vank User Agreement, or as otherwise required by law.
- Third-party service providers who assist us in providing services to you or who provide fraud detection or similar services on our or any vendor’s behalf.
- The other Vank user participating in the transaction and, depending on the privacy setting of each Vank account transaction, your Vank friends and the Vank friends of the other user participating in the transaction, or the public, through the Vank feed on our website and mobile application and elsewhere on the internet.
- Service providers under contract who help with parts of our business operations (for example, fraud prevention, payment processing, or technology services). Our contracts dictate that these service providers only use your information in connection with the services they perform for us and not for their own benefit.
- Other third parties with your consent or at your direction to do so, including if you authorize an account connection with a third-party account or platform.
- Information that we share with a third-party based on an account connection will be used and disclosed in accordance with the third-party’s privacy practices. Before authorizing an account connection, you should review the privacy notice of any third-party that will gain access to your personal information as part of the account connection. For example, personal information that Vank shares with a third-party account or platform such as a social media account may, in turn, be shared with certain other parties, including the general public, depending on the account’s or platform’s privacy practices.
- If you choose to use Siri or iMessage to send payments via Vank or to otherwise use the Services, such use is subject to Apple’s terms and conditions for use of iMessage and/or Siri, as applicable, and the terms of the Vank User Agreement. By using Siri or iMessage, you authorize us to share some of your Vank account data (including your friends’ list, list of persons you have transacted with most recently and most frequently, transaction instructions, and transaction notes) with Apple to allow it to facilitate transaction requests made through Siri or iMessage on iOS. Data shared with Apple will be used pursuant to Apple’s then-current user agreements and privacy policies. You can grant or revoke Apple’s access to Vank on iOS at any time under the “Siri” or “iMessage” settings on your iPhone.
Does Vank share Non-Personal Information?
Vank may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information with third parties. Vank may aggregate the information that the users provide and may use and disclose such aggregated information for any purpose. Aggregated information does not reveal your specific identity or directly relate to an identifiable individual.
If Vank is required to treat this information as “Personal Information” (as described above) under applicable law, then it may be used for the purposes for which Vank uses and discloses Personal Information as detailed in this Policy. Vank may collect the user device’s location through GPS, Wi-Fi, satellite, or cell phone tower signals. Vank may use the user device’s physical location to provide the user with location-based services and content. The user may be able to control such collection and/or use through its device settings.
How do I update my information?
If any of your Personal Information changes or if you would like to review, correct, update, suppress or delete Personal Information, it can be updated or corrected it the account settings by logging into your Account at: https//secure.vankpay.com. Vank may need to retain certain information for record keeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that the user began prior to requesting a change or deletion. There may also be residual information that will remain within Vank’s databases and other records, which will not be removed.
Vank is controlled and operated from the jurisdiction of the United States territory of Puerto Rico and is not intended to subject Vank to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country, or territory other than that of the jurisdiction of the United States territory of Puerto Rico or the Federal Government of the United States.
Please visit our User Agreement section establishing the use, disclaimers, and limitations of liability governing the use of Vank Services.